Among all the ailments of the human body, back diseases are, firstly, the most common, and secondly, the most painful in their course (especially in neglected forms).Both the first and the second encourage us to know exactly what the causes of back pain can be and what are the ways to eliminate, or at least reduce, the pain syndrome.
In the next article, we will discuss these problems in as much detail as possible, first outlining standard methods of pain relief, regardless of the reason for their occurrence. In the following, we will focus on specific diseases in conjunction with symptomatic treatment methods, suitable for each specific case. In addition, attention will be paid to the facts and risk groups for back pain.
What to do if your back hurts
Modern medicine has developed in depth a number of treatment methods, the use of which, in most cases, goes beyond the treatment of a single disease. These methods include:
- Fixation therapy equipment (belts, necklaces, etc. );
- exercise therapy;
- Surgical intervention.
Usually, to eliminate pain and effectively treat its cause, a complex application of the above means is necessary, where the practical relationship of some methods in relation to others is determined by a specific pathology.
Reference: This disease is characterized by the lateral displacement of the vertebrae and their crossing the normal limits of the spine. To compensate for such destructive flexion, the muscles adjacent to the displacement site are overstressed.
The latter leads to an acute pain syndrome, which can be relieved by the following methods:
- Analgesic.There are many proven over-the-counter products available on the pharmaceutical market that can effectively treat pain. Sprays, capsules, ointments, tablets, regardless of the form of release, all work according to the standard principle (if we talk about non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). The drug blocks certain chemicals called prostaglandins, which are responsible for the pain process. These medications include:
- acetylsalicylic acid;
- The second way to relieve pain in scoliosis is an effective remedy to reduce muscle spasms: a warm compress.The mechanism of its action is to relax the muscles, increase their mobility and expand the adjacent blood vessels.
Help: Usually, a heating pad wrapped in a towel is placed on the pain site for 20-30 minutes, no more than 2-3 times a day.
- In addition to heat, the opposite force of cold can be used to relieve pain.Ice, cold heating pads, etc. they also effectively relieve inflammation and swelling. A cold compress is applied for no more than 20 minutes per stroke, in total.
The spinal column is a point, or rather a line, of the intersection of a large number of nerve pathways that run from the spinal cord to all the extremities of the human body.Often destructive pathologies or physical damage can lead to a pinched nerve, leading to a severe pain attack. In this case, it is necessary to urgently consult a doctor, as surgical intervention may be necessary.
To withstand the first signs of a pinched nerve, you can do the following:
- Take pain relievers that are similar to the drug list above.
- Minimize movement;
- Strictly adhere to bed rest.
After the elimination of acute pain syndrome, other therapeutic and prophylactic means are also used: physiotherapy exercises, massages, traditional medicine, etc.
Reference: This disease is described by the breakdown of polysaccharides and proteins in the body, which are responsible for the strength of connective tissues. When it decreases, deformation of the intervertebral discs develops.
Osteochondrosis is usually accompanied by permanent or paroxysmal pain, which is rarely acute.
The pain syndrome occurs according to the location of the disease (lower back, thoracic and cervical spine).Depending on the type of pain, there are effective remedies for its relief:
- For neck pain, exercise therapy, massage, and medications are generally used;
- For pain in the lumbar region: a set of statistical and dynamic exercises, drugs administered by infectious route;
- For eye pain, medications, massages and physical therapy are also used;
- For pain in the heart and chest area: therapeutic blockade, anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs, bed rest;
Important: the methods of the same physical therapy exercises are different for each type of osteochondrosis, which implies consulting with a specialist before performing certain exercises. The same applies to medicines, massages, physiotherapy and any other therapeutic and prophylactic means.
When this disease appears, the main concomitant symptom is acute pain syndrome, the elimination of which is usually vital for the patient.The dystrophic processes that occur in the body cause a strong displacement of the spinal disc and the formation of an intervertebral hernia, which, in turn, is accompanied by excruciating episodes of pain.The latter, in some cases by themselves, can lead to the most unpleasant consequences up to a painful shock.
Effective treatments for herniated disc pain include the following:
- Medication use;
- exercise therapy;
Thus, the medical method consists of taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, drugs to relieve muscle tension (muscle relaxants), chondroprotectors, and corticosteroid analgesics.
The forms of release can be very different, from intravenous injections to ointments and patches.
Physical therapy is generally limited to the following set of procedures:
- Shock wave therapy;
- Bee venom;
Exercise therapy, in turn, consists of the regular performance of exercises that were prescribed by the treating physician, depending on the particularities of each individual patient. It can be activities in the pool, biking, walking, etc.
Reference: This disease is often considered as the initial form of the previous disease. So, the bulge is called pathology of the intervertebral disc, when its contents protrude beyond the spine at a distance of 5 mm.
The pain syndrome in this case is less intense than with a hernia. However, it reaches the threshold when it becomes necessary to remove it.
Methods similar to those in the list above are used to successfully combat disc protrusion pain.
This word denotes pathological inflammation and compression of the sciatic nerve. This neuralgia leads to an acute pain syndrome, which can be relieved in the following ways:
- The use of narcotic pain relievers: morphine hydrochloride, flupirtine maleate, tramadol hydrochloride, etc. );
- Ointment (diclofenac, nimesulide, diclofenac sodium, ketoprofen);
- Physiotherapy (electrophoresis, shock wave therapy, electrocution, etc. );
- Physiotherapy exercises;
- Breathing exercises;
- Cold compress.
With sciatica, the pain syndrome is most often localized to the lower back and lower extremities, which is the main factor in choosing a particular method.
It is an inflammatory condition that causes pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints. To combat arthritis pain, you can use the following:
- Exercise therapy (stretching, kneading, cycling, walking);
- Hot paraffin bath;
- Hot shower or bath;
- Using a cane while walking;
- Weight loss;
- Physiotherapy methods;
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
In this disease, the joint leaves its joint capsule, causing inflammation.With timely treatment, in a fairly short time (at least five treatments and prophylactic procedures), it is possible to eliminate the pain syndrome and prevent the transition of the pathology to a chronic form.
Sooner or later, cancer diseases begin to be accompanied by attacks of pain, which can be both one-time and permanent.
Fighting cancer pain usually has three stages.
- Mild pain: non-opioid pain relievers (meloxicam, ibuprofen, diclofenac sodium, etc. )
- When amplified, light opioids (tramadol hydrochloride).
- Severe pain - adjuvant therapy and narcotic analgesia (morphine hydrochloride trihydrate).
Important: the use of each of the above groups is correlated with a certain stage of disease development and therefore depends on the efficacy of the main treatment.
Osteoporosis is characterized by a chronic type of systemic disease of human bone tissue, in which its microarchitectonics, density and metabolic processes are altered.
As a general rule, in osteoporosis the pain syndrome occurs only with significant loads on the supporting motor system (lifting weights, prolonged stay in an uncomfortable position or lying down, etc. ). The usual location of pain is in the lower back, ankle, and hip joints.
Medications for pain relief include:
- Diclofenac (both as an ointment and as an injection);
Exercise therapy, physical therapy (shock wave therapy, electrocution, etc. ) and use of corrective equipment (corset) are also used
Diseases of the internal organs that radiate to the back
These pains can occur for a variety of reasons, ranging from coughs to sexually transmitted diseases. Very often, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, which have already been mentioned more than once, are used to relieve pain of this type.
This concludes our list of remedies to relieve pain, which is a symptom of a specific back disorder. But sadly, illness is not the only cause of pain. The latter may well be the result of things like a wen on the back, muscle strain, muscle damage, improper mattress, weight lifting. Let's examine each of these cases separately.
Help: as it is called a lipoma, a type of benign tumor that appears as a result of the proliferation of cells in adipose tissue. Lipoma can appear anywhere on the human body, even on the back.
Often the tumor is completely painless and has no side effects. However, it sometimes becomes inflamed, which is accompanied by an acute pain syndrome, which can be eliminated by getting rid of the wen itself:
- Medication (used when the lipoma is no larger than one centimeter). A special medicine is injected with a fine needle that dissolves fat tissue.
- Surgical treatment (complete removal of the neoplasm).
To lift weights
It often happens that after intense physical exertion on the musculoskeletal system, in particular on the spine, a person begins to feel pain. The latter has different intensity and location depending on the location and type of injury.
In this case, you need to see a doctor to find out the exact reason that caused the pain. To reduce the latter, ointments, tablets and patches containing non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (for example, meloxicam, ibuprofen, diclofenac) are quite suitable.
An alternative principle for dividing the pain syndrome may be the location of its appearance, one of which may be the lower back. Pain relief in this case depends on the specific cause of its occurrence.
Acute back pain during active physical activity can also be a symptom of stretching the muscles of the back or lower back. In this case, the following applies to combat pain syndrome:
- Rest complete;
- exercise therapy;
To avoid repeated stretching, the use of special support corsets, bandages and belts is recommended.
This reason is quite similar to the previous one. It differs only in the greater intensity of pain experienced. Therefore, the means to remove it in case of damage to the back ligaments are similar to the above list.
Rapid pain relief
For rapid relief of acute pain, preference should be given to medications given by injection (ibuprofen, diclofenac injections, etc. ), compresses, and bed rest.
Pain from a poorly adjusted mattress.
Important: For the most part, experts recommend not sleeping on surfaces that are too soft or too hard. These mattresses do not maintain the correct position of the spine during sleep and can damage your back.
In case of back pain, the first logical step is to consult a neurologist. The second is to pay close attention to your mattress.
Typical characteristics to consider when evaluating mattress quality are as follows:
- Construction type (spring-loaded, non-spring-loaded);
The choice of a mattress is worth not only according to your convenience, but also according to the advice of a personal doctor who knows well the peculiarities of your back.
Therefore, the reasons why back pain can occur are not limited to one or two diseases, but have a much broader conditioning.
However, on the subject of back pain, certain risk groups and also certain factors of its appearance can be distinguished.
- Age (on average, for men it is 55 years, for women - 60);
- Patient's gender (according to statistics, men suffer more from back pain).
- Constant lifting of weights;
- Resistance Procedures;
- Constant turns of the back and / or its inclinations;
- Excessive load;
- Lack of a culture of physical work;
- Contempt for health;
- Introduce a destructive lifestyle.
In the previous article, we tried to cover the phenomenon of back pain as widely as possible, the reasons why it occurs, and the ways it can be treated effectively. We hope the information has been useful to you. In any case, the main thing in all this remains an attentive attitude towards your health and the health of your loved ones.